Labor day is around the corner and this past July revealed the highest rise in retail sales recorded in the past 7 months. Labor day means the close of summer, and the beginning of fall. Customers are likely to be traveling for their last beach or lake weekend, and returning to get the kids back off to school. This presents a lot of great promotional opportunities for your business:
- Bring customers in before and after the holiday: A lot of your customers will be heading out of town for the weekend. For the week leading up to Labor Day, launch a sale on summer items to help them prepare for their last vacation of the summer. The week after, create a promotion to welcome people back and gets them excited about the fall.
- Clear summer items: Make room for new inventory by rewarding customers specifically for their summer purchases like apparel, beach gear, and barbeque and picnic accessories.
- Launch fall inventory: Get customers excited about the change of seasons by promoting your new fall items like football gear, pumpkin-spiced food items, or back-to-school essentials.
- Friends and family: Your customers are also likely to be spending the weekend with friends and family, so encourage them to bring them all in for a special discount or bonus points.
Tie your Labor Day promotion to your loyalty program
Once you decide on the theme of your promotion, configure your loyalty program to support the campaign. You can offer a points multiplier (e.g. 2x or 3x points), bonus points, or cash back. You can restrict these offers to specific items or categories of items, and specify a time frame for which these offers are available. You’ll also want to make sure you send a simple text message or email to let your customers know about your offers. Here are some samples:
- Create a double points offer on all purchases: “Happy Labor Day–Enjoy double points on purchases this week!”
- Create a double points offer on specific items or categories of items: “Celebrate boot season with us! Earn 2x points for boot purchases now through Labor Day!”
- Create a bonus points offer for specific items or categories of items: “Earn 50 bonus points when you purchase any summer apparel this Labor Day weekend!”
- Create a cash back offer to bring customers back: “Earn $5 off your next purchase when you spend $50 or more this Labor Day weekend!”
At AppCard, we’ve helped thousands of business owners create and launch Labor Day promotions. Contact your AppCard success manager for more Labor Day marketing ideas and for help setting up rewards offers and sending text or email campaigns.
-Happy Labor Day from all of us at AppCard!